Thursday, January 11, 2007

Creating new traditions after the holidays

As newlyweds, my husband and I enjoyed sharing each others traditions this past holiday season. We are a mixed marriage-- he is a pagan and I am a metaphysical Christian. We created a new tradition for both of us which involved reading to each other. First is was the novel The Handmaid and the Carpenter and later a series of Bible readings that traced the lineage of Christ as part of a Joshua tree custom I had found. As spiritual people we both enjoyed reflecting on the metaphysical meanings of the old scriptural texts and the modern telling of the story as well.

Now that the holidays are over, I commented to Dave that I missed the reading to each other so we have started a new tradition in our home of reading to each other in the evening from our spiritual texts. For me it's a chance to not relearn the scriptures that I have been away from for a long time but have always loved and look at them with my new learning. It's also a time to hear the stories that are close to Dave's heart as he reads me The Silmarillion.